CNN is teaming up with Donald Trump Jr. to defend his father, as the president continues to face a mounting barrage of sexual assault allegations against him.
In a joint statement Monday with a senior adviser to the president, the network announced it would be running two new segments this week on a Trump-penned reality show called “The President’s Women.”
The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a request for comment about the announcement.
The show, based in Los Angeles, is expected to air in October.
CNN’s senior vice president of news, Jeff Zucker, and senior vice presidents for programming, Mike Levine and Chris Long, announced the news during a joint appearance on the network’s “Reliable Sources” program.
“I can’t imagine a more important and urgent topic than this, and we think it’s critical that CNN, like every other major news organization, be transparent about what’s happening in the world and how we’re covering it,” Zucker said.
“There are people out there who have been victimized, and there are people who are hurting, and it is time for us to do something to help them.”
CNN’s first segment will feature a panel of former Miss Universe contestants, as well as former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, former Sen. Joe Lieberman and former Sen., Elizabeth Warren, who have all called for Trump’s impeachment.
The second segment will focus on the allegations of a network investigation into a sexual assault claim against Trump.
“This is an urgent time,” Long said.
“[The president] needs to be held accountable for his behavior.
We need to have this conversation.
We don’t need to do it behind closed doors.”
Trump has repeatedly dismissed the allegations against his son, telling The New York Times that he had “never even heard of this” and that he “didn’t know anything about it.”
The president has been repeatedly challenged on Twitter to produce evidence to support his allegations, including photos, audio recordings and memos.
Trump has denied any wrongdoing and has repeatedly said he is being investigated by special counsel Robert Mueller.
CNN has said that it is in the process of investigating whether Trump’s son colluded with the Russian government.
CNN said it was also working with other news outlets on a special report on the “Trump family’s ties to Russia.”
The network said it would also be airing a segment focused on the president’s accusers and his response to them, and was looking into other potential segments.
CNN did not disclose the details of the special report.
“CNN and our team are working with multiple news outlets to get more information on the matter, including what CNN has learned about the allegations,” Zucker told the Times.
“We’ve already seen reports of other individuals being interviewed by Mueller’s team, and that’s not going to stop us from doing more.”
The new CNN segments are likely to come just as the network is dealing with fallout from the allegations and with the fallout from an investigation into its own coverage of the Russia probe.
Trump’s attorney, Marc Kasowitz, released a statement Monday afternoon defending his client’s actions and accusing CNN of bias against him: “It is outrageous that a network of this caliber would take a stand in this way against the president of the United States,” Kasowitz said.
The network is not the first major news outlet to publicly weigh in on the Trump-Russia controversy, and Trump has continued to defend himself.
Last month, Trump defended his son by saying, “You know, there is no collusion.
You know, no collusion.”
Trump, speaking to ABC News’ Martha Raddatz, said that when it comes to Trump Jr., the president had “done what you think is right.
He was doing what’s right, because you have to be loyal.”
“He did it to protect his son and his daughter.
That’s why he was loyal to him,” Trump said.
CNN later said it is reviewing the statement and will make a decision on its next steps.